Another special weather statement is in effect, warning about heavy snow during the day today. Environment Canada is warning drivers to plan extra time to reach their destination due to poor winter driving conditions from accumulating snow. The whole weekend has flurries in the forecast. By Monday, about 20 centimeters could be on the ground in the GTA. The special weather statement is posted below.
- Today: 5-8 cm of snow, high -5.
- Tonight: Snow, risk of freezing drizzle, low -10.
- Saturday: 5 cm of snow, high -3.
- Sunday: Up to 10 cm of snow, high -4.
4:44 AM EST Friday 09 February 2018
Special weather statement in effect for:
- City of Toronto
- City of Hamilton
- Burlington – Oakville
- Halton Hills – Milton
- Mississauga – Brampton
- Niagara Falls – Welland – Southern Niagara Region
- Catharines – Grimsby – Northern Niagara Region
- Brantford – County of Brant
- Woodstock – Tillsonburg – Oxford County
- Guelph – Erin – Southern Wellington County
- Kitchener – Cambridge – Region of Waterloo
- Vaughan – Richmond Hill – Markham
More snow on the way today.
At this point, it appears that total snowfall amounts will be fairly modest in the 4 to 8 cm range, with perhaps 10 cm possible in one or two localities by this evening. This snowfall is expected to mainly impact the afternoon commute. Motorists should plan extra time to reach their destination due to poor winter driving conditions from accumulating snow on untreated roads, and occasional reduced visibility in snow. The snow is expected to taper off this evening.
Photo Credit: Environment Canada