Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
- Innisfil – New Tecumseth – Angus
- Orangeville – Grand Valley – Southern Dufferin County
- Shelburne – Mansfield – Northern Dufferin County
- Burlington – Oakville
- Halton Hills – Milton
- Mississauga – Brampton
- Newmarket – Georgina – Northern York Region
- Pickering – Oshawa – Southern Durham Region
- Uxbridge – Beaverton – Northern Durham Region
- Vaughan – Richmond Hill – Markham
- Barrie – Collingwood – Hillsdale
- Midland – Coldwater – Orr Lake
- Orillia – Lagoon City – Washago
Conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing damaging wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain.
The thunderstorms are expected to develop ahead of or along a cold front this afternoon or evening.
Very strong wind gusts can damage buildings, down trees and blow large vehicles off the road. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!
Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management recommends that you take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches.
Photo Credit: accuweather